Friday, August 25, 2017

Will you open this for me?

I think if someone were going to develop a catch phrase for me, while I would prefer something zippier, it would probably be, "Will you open this for me?" Because, with RA, I say this all the time.

Early on, I didn't have a diagnosis yet. My brother was in the hospital's ICU, and I only had limited times to switch off with family members eating in the cafeteria. I didn't have anybody around and my fingers were doing their impression of the Michelin tire man. Getting a grip on anything was painful and totally impossible.

It's times like this, which make you reliant upon the kindness of strangers. Luckily, I live in a town with incredibly kind and helpful people. Water, juice, or whatever bottle I needed to open would be no problem and they seemed genuinely happy to help. I usually chose someone who didn't seem too involved in a conversation or too deeply involved in reading.

However, as time went on I just didn't want to have to do this everywhere I went. I didn't want to accost people at every place I ate, or every theater I went to. I wanted to gain at least a little independence.

And so, this little tool came into my life. Behold the Jokari 3-in-1 beverage opener.

I got one first to try at home. It worked so well that I left it at home and got another that I carry it around in my purse. I probably can't take it on flights because they probably consider it a weapon. I don't know for sure. Regardless, when I'm out with friends and get a water at the movie theater, or a San Pellegrino in a restaurant, I can absolutely open it myself.

Score one for independence!



3 comments:

  1. Interesting gadget!
    What company makes it?
    Can you get it online?
    How big can it open?

    Great score. It takes what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jokari on Amazon. I think probably you could open a Snapple with it, but that's as wide as you want to go and still maintain a grip. If you click on the blue text, it'll take you to The Amazon page.

    ReplyDelete